CONFERENCE PAPERS, PUBLIC TALKS AND LECTURES
- Guest lecture (video conference), ‘Käthe Kollwitz and the German No More War movement’, The Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah and Atlanta, Georgia, 9 February 2023.
- Participation (presentations followed by Q+A) in roundtable event as part of the launch of the edited collection Artistic Expressions and the Great War, A Hundred Years On, ed. Sally Charnow, Hofstra University, New York, 23 September 2021 (online).
- Guest lecture (video conference), ‘Käthe Kollwitz and the German No More War movement’, The Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah and Atlanta, Georgia, 8 February 2022.
- Public lecture, ‘Otto Dix, War and Society’, Western Front Association (Cork Branch), 30 October 2019.
- Public interview, Art, War and Memory in Twentieth Century Visual Culture, Galerie Spot, Zagreb, chaired by Prof. Leonida Kovač (University of Zagreb) and Dr Sandra Križić Roban (Galerie Spot), 18 January 2019.
- ‘The Reception of Otto Dix’s triptych War at the Prussian Academy, October 1932’, at the conference Artistic Expressions and the Great War, A Hundred Years On, Hofstra University, New York, 7-9 November 2018.
- ‘Memorialising World War I: Otto Dix’s Metropolis and the Reconfiguration of Militant Masculinity’ at the German Studies Association Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, 27-30 September 2018.
- ‘Against a militarised culture: Re-assessing Käthe Kollwitz’s War series in post-World War I Germany’ (long paper), at the symposium The Aftermath of War, National Gallery of Ireland, 11 November 2017.
- ‘The Sinking of the Lusitania: Art and the Propaganda War’, at the conference The Lusitania and the War at Sea, 1914-1918, University College Cork, 6 May 2015.
- ‘The Memorialization of World War I in Germany: The Case of the Dresden School during the late Weimar Republic’ at the conference Perspectives on the Great War, Queen Mary, University of London, 1-4 August 2014.
- ‘The Artist as Witness and Participant in British, French and German Art of World War I’ (long paper), presented to the Western Front Association (Cork Branch), 10 December 2014.
AS CONFERENCE CONVENOR
War in the Visual Arts,University College Cork, 12–14 Sept 2013, themed on the impact of war on visual media, from Classical Greece to the present. Ninety speakers from across five continents and major institutions. Website: http://warinthevisualarts.wordpress.com/
OTHER ACTIVITIES (SELECTED)
- Conducted public Q+A session with artist Ben Reilly in conjunction with his exhibition Graft (5 April – 3 May), Backwater Artists’ Studios, Cork, 17 April 2019.
- Gave interview on war in visual culture to Davor Konjikušić, for cultural magazine Novosti Hobocin, Zagreb, published 12 February 2019. https://www.portalnovosti.com/ann-murray-umjetnici-predosjecaju-dolazak-rata
- Erasmus Teaching Mobility – delivered a series of lectures on post-World War I art to final year undergraduates and Masters students at the Academy of Fine Arts, University of Zagreb, 14-18 January 2019.
- Discussant for the panel ‘Weimar Representations of Women and Modernity’, German Studies Association Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, 27-30 September 2018
Recent Awards and Funding
- 2020 Awardee of a Charlemont Grant, Royal Irish Academy (International Research Mobility)
- Erasmus Mobility Grant, 2019 (lecturing at the University of Zagreb)
- National University of Ireland Grant towards Academic Publishing (2012 and 2017)
- Fáilte Ireland Conference Grant, for the conference War in the Visual Arts, 2013
- Irish Research Council Government of Ireland Doctoral Scholarship (full funding), 2012-2015.
Lecturing and Teaching
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer, part-time, History of Art, University College Cork, 2010-2019. Taught undergraduate students on a range of topics in Western Art from Classical Greece to 1945; coordinated and taught on the module ‘Irish Art for Visiting Students’; coordinated and taught the accredited Certificate in History of Art as part of UCC’s Adult Continuing Education programme.
- Post-primary Art Teacher, Hewitt College, Cork, 2008-Present. Subject teacher for fourth, fifth and sixth year students, and portfolio preparation for students intending to study art and design at third level.